Monday, December 29, 2008

December Happenings

I am now unemployed because Ninja Pirate went out of business. I'm kinda indifferent about it. The money was nice but I'll be enjoying the return of my Friday and Saturday nights. I definitely won't miss my boss.

When I applied to Rice, the application said I would be notified on Monday, December 15th about whether I was accepted. Naturally, I was anxiously counting down to that day. On the 14th, happened to check my email, which I don't do most Sundays before mass, and was surprised to discover an email from Rice. I had to read the first sentence 3 or 4 times before I was sure that it really said that I was accepted. Woohoo!!! :D

The following Saturday we loaded the car and started the drive to Cincinnati, Ohio to spend Christmas with my dad's family. The ride wasn't too bad since we had over 20 hours of Harry Potter 6 on CD's to listen to. I was amused when I saw a billboard in Arkansas that said "Hell is REAL!" right across the highway from an "Adult Superstore." When we arrived at my uncle's house on Sunday at about 7 in the evening, it was 9 degrees outside with a wind chill down to -11! We unpacked and got inside as quickly as possible. I probably played about 1000 points worth of ping pong games in the basement throughout the week. For Christmas, I got a laptop, a few DVD's, a Rice hoodie, a Stevie Wonder CD(which I am currently listening to) and a few other random things. Definitely more than I get on an average Christmas. Victoria got a Wii, which I will get to play a lot.

All in all, not a bad Christmas season. :)


Every so often, I'm hit by the realization that I'll be graduating in just a few months. College no longer seems like that distant dream that it used to be. Especially now that I know where I'll be going, it's so real and so close. I'm unbelievably excited, especially about joining the MOB, but honestly, I'm kinda scared. I've been in the same house for almost 15 years and at the same school for 8 1/2. It's just going to be so completely different. It'll be really hard to say goodbye to so many good friends. And, frankly, I'm kinda scared about the classes; I won't just be able to just coast through them anymore. It will be strange, and hopefully humbling, to be constantly surrounded by people who are smarter than me.

No comments: