Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The most epic week ever (Part 2)

On Tuesday, I went to first period, then left to finally get my hand checked out. I got some pretty interesting X-rays(go look at my Facebook pictures if you want to see). It turns out that I had actually gone 6 days with somewhat severely broken hand. Though I was at my normal doctor's office, I met with his new Physician's Assistant, Dr. Dean Harvey. When I mentioned that I had waited so long because I was staffing a youth group retreat, the ensuing conversation went something like this:

"Oh, was that the one out at Camp Travis"?
"Yeah."
"Do you know John Hill"? (He's an adult leader in my youth group.)
"Yeah, why"?
"He's my brother-in-law! Our wives are sisters."
"Seriously?!?! That's crazy!"

To add to the coincidence, he looks a lot like my uncle, who is also a doctor, so I had "It's a Small World" stuck in my head for the rest of the day. After some more talk about that, and him calling me "tough" about 15 times in 10 minutes, I was sent to Texas Orthopedics, where I got a splint put on my hand(again, see my Facebook for pictures). The doctors were really surprised that I didn't want stronger pain medicine than the normal Ibuprofen I'd been taking. I'm not sure why, but my hand just doesn't hurt very much. (I saw Dr. Harvey again at Mass on Sunday, where he expressed amazement at the fact that I had been lifting cinderblocks on the retreat (I guess he had talked to John Hill about it). He called me tough a few more times.)

On Wednesday, I woke up after everyone else in my family, packed my bags, and loaded them into the car to leave for Houston. About an hour-and-a-half later, Victoria finished packing and we left. :P

I got there, met up with Alex, and went to the MOB practice next to Minute Maid stadium. Since my hand is broken and I couldn't play baritone, I played kazoo (along with 4 other people). We practiced the routine a few times and went back to Alex's dorm. Then we went to someone else's room (I'm not sure whose) and watched an episode of Your Mom(How I Met Your Mother) and an episode of House, which was fun. Then we went back to Alex's dorm to go to sleep early because we had to be downtown for the parade at 7.

The MOB did the official opening of the parade:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63BQVS4e0QQ

The rest of the parade went well, except for the fact that some genius had decided to put horses at the front of the parade, so even though we were 4th or 5th, we were smelling, and occasionally walking in, horse crap the whole way. We basically alternated between Louie Louie and drum cadences. Chuck Throckmorton (the MOB's director) told us to make sure not to walk in-step. The MOB does NOT march! Skipping and jumping through the parade are perfectly fine though, as long as they're not in-time. After the parade, we had lunch at a pretty good Mexican restaurant with Alex's friend Reagan and his parents. The TVs were set to a soccer game on a Spanish channel, so 2 or 3 times during the meal, we heard the announcer yell, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL!!!!!!"
which made me laugh. Later, we drove to our cousins' house for a great Thanksgiving dinner, which was preceded by Home Alone I and followed by The Incredibles. Unfortunately, Thanksgiving dinner away from home meant no leftovers for us.

Friday was uneventful except for lunch at a burger place called Prince's and dinner at Hard Rock Cafe. At about midnight, I got to taste some of Reagan's legendary homemade salsa with habanero peppers. It was fully deserving of such legends, though a little too spicy for me even though he said it was milder than usual. :P

Saturday began with a MOB rehearsal, which I was a Show Assistant for. Then we went to Mission Burrito for lunch. Mission Burrito is like Freebirds and Chipotle but better, especially because of the Saturday $5 burrito-and-drink special. Then came the Rice vs. UH game, which we dominated 56-42. Playing with the MOB was great even though I was only playing kazoo. I didn't really know what the whole halftime show was about because I was too busy paying attention to my job. When the MOB formed into 10 circles in bowling pin formation, three other MOBsters and I pushed a 7-8 foot tall beach ball through them, and they stopped playing and fell over when they were hit. It was pretty awesome. Then I had to say godbye to Rice and go home. *sniff* :'(


As closing thought, I'm kinda disappointed in this program's spell-check. It doesn't know how to spell "retreatants", "Throckmorton", "habanero", "Freebirds", or "Chipotle". It also doesn't recognize the word "goal" when spelled with a Spanish soccer announcer accent. It does, however, accept "kinda" as a real word.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was hilarious, and pretty enjoyable to read. I think the funniest parts were about skipping down the street not in time and the spanish futbol announcer. I also liked the comment about the spellchecker.

And that is crazy that Harvey Dean is John's brother-in-law. I think I have met him once, because I KNOW I have met all of Rachel's sisters and at least one of their husbands.

~Eddie