Friday, April 10, 2009

Owl Days

Tuesday after school I went to Rice for Owl Days, an event at Rice for students who have been accepted. I got there around 8 p.m., went to see a one-act, then hung out in the Jones 3rd-south lobby till about 1 a.m. which was fun.

Wednesday I checked in to Owl Days then followed Alex to his Thermodynamics class. The professor was cool, but I understood almost nothing he talked about. As I followed him and his friends to their Mechanical Engineering class, I mentioned that I'd kinda like to go to a class that I might understand. They then started saying that I should go to Gao's class because he's awesome. As they started explaining how to get there, someone pointed at a middle-aged Asian man carrying a box and said, "That's Gao, just follow him." which I did against my better judgment. I understood absolutely nothing he said because it was multivariable calculus. I guess that showed me not to trust Alex. Ever.

After lunch I went and heard about their engineering program and got a tour of all the engineering buidings. Then I did an official campus tour and heard about Study Abroad and Pre-Professional programs.

Then I went to Martel, ate dinner, and hung out with my host, Max, who was also the campus tour guide I was with. Then I went to see the Philharmonics(Phils for short) who are a really awesome a capella group. They did arrangements of all sorts of songs, including Aretha Franklin. At the end, they said they were going to do "Africa" by Toto as their big finale, and then proceeded to Rick-Roll us. It was awesome! Then, they actually sang "Africa."

After the Phils, I went to see Spontaneous Combustion (SpoCo), an improv comedy group. They basically do the same things as on "Whose Line is it Anyway," and they were hilarious. At 11 p.m. I went down to the Martel quad and played dodgeball until midnight. Then I went back to Max's room, played Halo 3 and watched Dr. Who, and went to sleep.

Thursday morning I went with Max's roommate Chris to a philosophy class, which was pretty interesting(and I actually understood what the prof was saying!). Then it was back to the room for more Halo 3. Then, I packed my stuff, took the metro rail to the Greyhound station, and took a bus home.

No comments: