Just as a disclaimer, I will likely be "thinking out loud" a lot of the time, so please don't start arguments. I like to throw out a lot of "what if's."
I decided to start a blog for various reasons. I don't really feel like writing all of them. Based on past experiences, I will either lose interest in this within a few hours/days/weeks, or become obsessed and post blogs 12-30 times a day. :P
One recent thing that made me want to start this was something that happened while I was at work on Saturday. I work at a comics and games store called Ninja Pirate, for those of you who don't know (http://www.ninjapirateland.com/)
It was about 6:30 when Chris Duran, one of the regulars at the shop showed up at with his face and arm covered in blood and bruises. A middle aged woman, who none of us knew, was frantically helping him keep pressure on his head while asking for paper towels. I rushed to get some, and she explained that she had driven up in front of the Subway(a few doors down) to see Chris on the ground, surrounded by 5 or 6 guys, and being beaten up by one of them. She yelled at them, causing them all to jump into their pickup truck and speed off. While Amy(one of the store owners) was calling 9-1-1, Chris was saying that he didn't even know the guys. He just looked at them and they jumped him. As far as we could guess, they were probably racist rednecks who attacked him just because he's hispanic. Soon, a fire truck, ambulance, and police car showed up. They checked Chris out, saying that he would need a few stitches, and took him to the hospital. One of the witnesses gave the police a description of the truck and the liscense plate number, and there was soon a helicopter circling in the direction they had driven. Apparently, several other similar incidents had happened that day, probably all the same guys.
There are several things from that incident that really made me think. First, I was stunned that people could be so cruel as to beat up someone based on race. They may have just been drunk or complete idiots, but with this financial crisis, they may be going through hard times, and wanted someone to take out their anger on. It doesn't excuse their actions, but if things keep getting worse, I wonder if we may see more incidents like this all over the country. History class discussions of the Holocaust came to mind. If we really go into a depression, people will get desperate. I can see how an inspirational leader like Hitler could convince his people that if they just got rid of the Jews, their lives would get better. People like to find scapegoats for their problems, rather than just accepting that life isn't fair and trying to make the best of their crappy situations. One very true cliche which I like very much is this: "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade." Don't go around throwing lemons at people who aren't the reason you have them.
The second thing is that I was amazed at the kindness of that woman. She saw someone who needed help, and she did whatever she could to help him. She stayed for half an hour, helping him clean up, talking to the firemen, police and paramedics, and trying to contact his dad. I also have a new appreciation for firemen, policemen, and paramedics. After seeing them in action, showing so much kindness and care to that traumatized young man made me realize the truth in another cliched saying: they are the real heroes. That kind of selfless kindness, from them and that woman, gives me more faith in humanity, especially after something like that.
On a much simpler, less profound note, head wounds bleed a lot! No kidding. If he hadn't gotten direct pressure on the wound so quickly, he probably would have passed out and needed a blood transfusion, all from a cut that will only need a few stitches.
Please pray for Chris, for physical and emotional healing, but also pray for the guys that did this terrible thing to him, for whatever reasons they did it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's pretty crazy. Sounds like some of the stuff that we ran into in Europe and downtown Houston, but I wouldn't have suspected that kind of violence so close to home. It looks like the economic depression may really be getting to some people.
I also noticed that you're listed on the ninja-pirate website as the whipping boy. Nice.
Wow, and I thought I saw some crazy people at my job. That's pretty scary, but it makes a good story to tell.
Thats awesome man. Opened my eyes to what really goes on. I knew it hapens but I never paid that much attention to it. Well that was a great story, real serious. I say no matter what, as long as their is kindness like that woman in this world, theirs always gonna be hope and a chance for good to come out on top.
Post a Comment